Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Trip To The Past: Historic Downtown Kissimmee

Reposted from: http://i.seekissimmee.com/2012/03/23/a-trip-to-the-past-historic-downtown-kissimmee/
Civil War Picture
A Trip To The Past: Historic Downtown Kissimmee By Lynn Hubbard
This year is Kissimmee’s 129th Birthday! To celebrate they held their annual Kowtown Festival. Complete with BBQ, Bass Fishing, Crafts and Cake. It was great to get out, meet a bunch of the locals, and get a free snow cone!
Rounding the corner I ran across a quaint shop Lanier’s Historic Downtown Marketplace. My mother loves antiques so we stepped inside, and back in time. This store is huge and it has everything you can imagine and somethings you can’t. With rows of furniture, collectables, and antiques piled higher than me, it was awe inspiring! We made our way to the back where I was drawn to the cowboy section. Unfortunately there were no cowboys, but a cowboy would have been right at home, sitting pretty in the saddle they had; Along with some wagon wheels, bull whips, old photographs and more! My mom drug me away, and reluctantly I moved on.
Rounding a corner I spotted a picture sitting on a chair. It called to me. I went over, picked it up and was thrust back to the Civil War. The picture is of a woman saying good bye to her love as he goes off to fight. Would make a great book! I snatched it up, and headed to the counter.
While I was checking out I met Tom Lanier, the owner’s father.  Tom was very knowledgeable and patient as I questioned him about my picture, and the town. He suggested some places for lunch and we headed down the street to find them.
Historic Kissimmee is a beautiful place. They are restoring it and when they redid the sidewalks they cemented in metal emblems with cowboy themes. Right up my alley! :-) They also have a Sculpture Contest going on until July and we passed several beautiful pieces scattered around town.
We arrived at Nature’s Table CafĂ© which is tucked into an alley with outside seating. We decided to eat inside and headed up to the counter. They have a wonderful menu with healthy choices. Soups, salads, wraps, panini sandwiches and more. Gabrielle helped us all choose something different and everyone enjoyed their meal. Plus, this is one of the few places in Florida where you can get great fresh brewed sweet tea!
You could easily spend half a day shopping and eating downtown. They have a parking deck and well marked cross walks for safety. They are within walking distance of Lake Tohopekaliga which boasts a lighthouse, a parkairboat rides and more.
If you want a break from the large crowds at the outlet stores come to Downtown Kissimmee, find some great bargains, and revisit history!

No comments:

Post a Comment